Friday, October 5, 2012

BEARDS AND A BEE IN THE EYE

source
Hello All...
Tonight the Man and I are off to see Ryan Bingham here in lovely Austin, TX and I am PSYCHED!  I was a fan of his dusty, boot-stompin,' tunes well before I was a Texan. I love all of his albums, but if you don't own his first, Mescalito, get in your car right now and drive to your local groove-merchant and pick it up.

Bingham is an old-school and honest outlaw country artist, and consequently the first country music I have been able to swallow since Willie and Waylon came on vinyl, and my parents had green shag carpet.  That being said...good tunes is good tunes and quality music transcends all genres. When attending live shows I also like to use a rating and reviewing system that I've derived over time and after many, many ticket stubs. It's called the "Beards and Bee in the Eye" system. 

1. BEARDS. 
I love em. They're fuzzy, furry and remind me of the 70's when music was actually good. Any touring act sporting a big overgrown beard is clearly too busy partying, writing great music and rocking their faces off to worry about personal hygiene. Typical occurence in our house: Man: "Hey honey, the blankety blanks are playing at Stubb's tonight" Me: "Who are the blankety blanks?" Man: " I don't know but they look really beardy." Check. Some examples:

The Black Keys. Hells yeah.
source

The Black Crowes. No, Tonya, I will never shut up about the freaking Black Crowes. Really..ever.
source
 Waylon Jennings. Hardcore.
source
 Ray LaMontagne. Okay so doesn't rock your face off but so beardy and good nonetheless. 
source
This method almost never fails although it does have one flaw, in that it is sexist. No problem I have derived a back-up system.

2. BEE IN THE EYE.
As a true music lover, nothing offends me more than standing around on a concrete floor for hours and paying six dollars for a freaking Budweiser, only to watch the band on stage look so bored with their own show that they look like they'd rather be taking a math test.  Hence, the "Bee in the Eye system."  A concert can generally be categorized as good if one or more of the artists, during the set, makes a face similar to that of being stung in the eyeball by a giant bee. It signifies, passion for their music, face-melting guitar licks, and general good-timing. Some examples: 

Stevie Ray Vaughan. Obligatory to include as Austinite. 
source
 Jimmy Page. Bees chased him for YEARS. 
source
 Marc Ford. Another Crowe. I can't help it, I'm sorry.. 
source
 Dawes (Taylor Goldsmith). Very afflicted by bees. 
source
 Because girls get chased by bees too... Alison Mosshart, (The Kills) I worship thee. 
source
This picture of Jimmy Page doesn't have anything to do with beards or bees, its just awesome and I'm including it because its my blog. 

source

May your weekend be full of beards and bees. Happy Listening

~Rachel