Tuesday, October 9, 2012

BIG JUICY WEEKEND


Oh, how I love three-day-weekends. . . Thank you, Chris Columbus.

It was a weekend jam-packed with family fun and projects! The Man and I rocked our faces off at Ryan Bingham on Friday night. Two advil and 5 hours of sleep later, we were on our way to Market Days in Wimberly, Texas. It was really our first time getting out of Austin as a family, since we moved here, and Bug was born. It was a great family outing, with a great mix of flea market vintage, crazy crafters and of course, barbeque. I picked up some mismatched, vintage, kitchen linens for .25 each.

And this broken vintage bracelet, which you can be sure to see in some One Man's Trash pieces very soon...

And my favorite moment of the day: Bug turns the bbq tent into a one-woman DANCE PARTY. Complete with:
High Kicks

Plie's
And the final act. She threw herself down on the ground and held plank position for about a minute. The blue hairs loved it and I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard.
Good times had by all, and even with two giant BBQ sandwiches we spent less than $20 for the entire day.

With Bug back-up, I was also able to get to some DIY projects that I've been wanting to complete for about two years.  My antique dresser from my Grandma Wilma, became white. The gorgeous hardware was falling apart and missing some pieces.
I recently purchased these el cheapo filigree earrings from a random 'teenager store', in hopes to do something cool with them. I sprayed with gold, pierced a hole in the center and BAM. They became knob backplates. Someday, I'd like to strip the  whole thing and turn into a bathroom vanity but for now, its my shipping desk. Loving it.
After reading Justina Blakeney's blog from finish to start last week, I decided my house needed to be "jungalized." Check out my new houseplants, baaaaby. Jungalicious. Thank you early birthday present.  I had fun "playing plants" and moving things around into pretty containers I have around the house. 




 We picked up our CSA box this week from Johnson's Backyard Farms and I had to include a picture as our fall bounty is SPECTACULAR.
We made borscht with the beets, served with crusty buttery bread and topped with sour cream. Rawr.  Today I'm making Kale chips for the first time.

I did some sewing.. I finally started my bedroom curtains with this amazing fabric I got on clearance over a year ago.  Also sewed some trim on my hand towels. More on the "bedroom project" and the "bathroom project" next week.


I usually opt for home-made ultra-creative Halloween costumes but when I saw this poofy bee at Goodwill for $9, I couldn't resist. It had a few blemishes on it so I sewed a few daisies on the hem, to make it look like my little Bug was buzzing through a field of flowers. Pics to follow at the end of the month!

We also found time to have our first fire of the season...

Thank you, Mother Nature for cooling the hell off. And also some time to space out in front of Fox NFL with a glass of wine (okay, several) on Sunday. Sorry, Packers...tough break.

All in all, it was an AWESOME weekend. Bug and I agree..
It's nice to have Daddy home.


Cheers!
~Rachel