Thursday, December 20, 2012

A VERY TODDLER CHRISTMAS

photo cred
Having a child tends to turn the volume up on Christmas. As a single gal, on Christmas eve, I would often find myself with a completely empty fridge, getting in late, crawling in bed and anticipating getting to my mom's house in the morning where there would be a tree, cookies, and all the warm fuzzies of Christmas. I had a stocking until I was...well...30.  Candy and toys became quarters for laundry and "the good razors."

Now that I'm a mom, I am creating those traditions in my own home; some are new and some are recycled from my childhood.  This Christmas Eve the Man and I will be frantically setting up an art easel, unwrapping a Radio Flyer wagon, and assembling a train set around the tree, (which is decorated only on the top two feet). Yes, seriously. Christmas looks pretty storybook at our house. I can't wait to see the twinkle in her eyes as we come down the stairs in the morning after Santa has visited.  There are some magical moments with kids that you can't create...they just happen. My favorites of the season: 

"SOCKS". As in, Santa fills my socks with toys on Christmas Eve. In her defense, they ARE socks. I've been unable to keep them on the mantel. 

"COFFEE"  While reading the Christmas pop-up book my aunt sent me, the Bug points out that the mama is having her coffee. As in, An angel of the lord visited Mary while she was having her coffee and told her she would have a holy child. Awesome. 

Only 5 days til Christmas!
Cheers!
Rachel