Monday, June 3, 2013

FARM FRESH 6-4-13

One of the best things about summer is the bounty of yummy vegetables we get from our CSA.  This week's box was impressive and included the first of the juicy, ripe tomatoes. 

Thanks to diligent time-suckage on Pinterest, I am prepared for this year's "what to make" challenge when the veg start rolling in. 

First I made this Kale Salad Recipe

I actually ate it without the goat cheese but I'm sure it would be fantastic. The spicy radish (I had black radishes), crunchy pecans, sweet dried berries, and tart apple are a perfect foil to the "just mowed the front yard in my mouth" taste of the raw kale.  I recommend chopping it extra fine and letting it sit in the sauce for a day before you munch out on this crunchy and satisfying salad snack. 

We made Margherita Pizzas with the tomato and basil. (I ground up and froze the rest as pesto) 
photo cred
You don't need a recipe for this! We roasted the tomatoes in the toaster oven for a bit, to bring out their salty ripe goodness, slapped them on some thawed pizza dough with fresh basil and big hunks of fresh mozz and threw them in a super hot oven until they looked like this. Easy and so delicious! 

We actually have an order in to the farm for an additional 10lbs of San Marzano tomatoes that is coming in 2 weeks. I am planning to make my own sauce this year. Right now I am leaning towards this recipe as a guide. I'm planning to freeze rather than can. I would like to eventually get to the canning stage. 

We got a head of napa cabbage with carrots, onions, etc., and I made this incredible Asian salad

As usual, I subbed a few things that I had on hand.. red onion, green snap peas, etc.. I actually used apricot jam and sriracha sauce in place of the chili sauce. I also didn't have the chicken so I just threw in a ton of peanuts and ate it as a crunchy vegetarian lunch. SO GOOD. 

We got fresh green beans. They were a little tough as a side, so I decided to pickle the rest and I think I'm going to try this recipe for inspiration and add a few jalapenos. I think they'd be a great spicy snack!

I'm not a huge zucchini fan (it's a texture thing?), but we always get a ton of them. This year I'm prepared..thank you again, Pinners. I'm either making this Zucchini Spaghetti with Lemon Chive Dressing

or These Zucchini Fritters. YUM. These look amazing. 

Or a similar idea with these Zucchini Tots

Or all three. :) 
Happy cooking. 
Rachel 

all photos are credited to their recipe links unless otherwise marked.

1 comment:

The Man said...

Yum, I can wait.