Thursday, June 20, 2013

NEW!! THE SOUL SERIES and MUSINGS ON ART

source

I often go in waves with my little creative business. Sometimes I will go weeks and weeks without any desire to make anything and then poof I will have a burst of creative energy, sit down at my desk and work like a maniac until I produce something that I'm satisfied with. 
source

It has been a particularly long time since I've been inspired to make anything as of late, which is also due to a shift in focus. Growing a person, as it turns out, is kind of an energy suck. And don't even get me started on the toddler sleep drama at our house right now. 

I think I have also been feeling a bit of artist burnout. While Etsy is a wonderful outlet for creatives to put their wares out there, it is also a business model and its easy to get sucked into counting orders, excessive tracking of your stats, and becoming a slave to trends.  I found I was having to regurgitate the same pieces over and over to satisfy the demand for the popular pieces but they weren't items that I was excited about making anymore. As an artist, its hard to motivate yourself to work on something that you're not passionate about.  Sometimes you have to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and focus on your originality. 
sorry, do not have source
If you want to maintain a business those pieces are mandatory and part of the package, but its important to take time to work on those items that feed your soul and create that gravitational pull away from your computer/tv/housework/sleep/family to your creative space. 

Presenting the SOUL series at One Man's Trash--combining bits of hand-stitched embroidery art, vintage trims and pieces with soul. 
THE MOUNTAIN
With each piece I tried to evoke a feeling, memory or emotion. Each element is chosen because of its beauty, texture, uniqueness, and overall contribution to the whole. 


Often using vintage buttons, scraps of salvaged upholstery, antique eyelet, ribbon, as well as specialty beads that I've collected for their individual beauty or handmade myself. 

Glass, hand-made clay, shell, fiber, wood, and ceramic come together to create pieces with soul. 


More to come..!

And a few delicious treasures going into the vintage shop at OMT!  All pieces shown today will be live in the shops by tomorrow. 

Silver sequin and ivory beaded vintage clutch. GORGEOUS. 

Vintage fuchsia and black color block leather pumps

Black Mod patent leather Jackie O clutch 

Enjoy! 
Rachel 

No comments: