Friday, December 6, 2013

GIRL, SIMPLIFIED.

Oh it is a difficult thing for me to admit that I cannot do it all! This picture isn't entirely accurate since I haven't ironed since 1994--not since my husband taught me about the "man iron." Item of clothing, hot dryer, wet towel, dryer sheet. Done. But I digress. 

As I near the end of this pregnancy, we've had to make some adjustments to our daily routines, As much as I love sharing my Pinterest recipes and my Farm Fresh posts with healthy, local, organic produce I chef up into our meals,  I've had to concede that I just don't have the energy to spend half the day at the kitchen sink, peeling, roasting, puree'ing and mixing up rutabagas or whatever. Sitting is a full time job when you're 35 weeks pregnant. This post is about priorities, people. 

We decided to postpone our CSA deliveries until the baby blitz is over both to save a little money and to save me some time and effort. Already we've relied on a little too much on Campbell's Cream of Whatever, but its still better than takeout, and I'm trying to find ways to sneak in our veggies, and keep it whole as much as possible. I've been hitting the crock pot HARDCORE. 

I have new board on Pinterest called Crock out (cuz I'm silly like that) if you're also looking for easy meals, or have to sit down every 5 minutes like me. 

In a perfect world, I'd like to have the freezer full of some crock meals that take me approximately four seconds to prepare when I'm managing an infant. Unzip bag, dump, turn on. Done. Sit. 

We've simplied our holiday traditions this year, too. We still put up a real tree, but its half the size, up on a table, and we didn't drag out all of the ornaments. 



Instead Ruby and I had craft time--mostly with supplies that I had around the house--and made a bunch of non-breakable, kid-friendly cuties that she can move around at will. I can spend less time policing her and the dog and more time..well..sitting. 

I saw this 


and this 

on Pinterest. (See my board kid projects for how-tos). I knew I've been saving all those little scraps and bits for something good. 


I like the drag queen quality of these. I kind of want to play with them myself. 

We had a great time on a boring afternoon and I got to do some sitting. Yes, she always wears the crown. 






The ornaments go perfect with the wacky DIY star I made last year. 

My cookie tradition--active since 1979--is getting nixed too. I'll be buying some of this 



And some of this

And doing this. 

Then I'll do some sitting. 
Christmas cards? Fuh-getta-bout-it. That's why God invented Facebook. Perhaps I'll parlay that energy into birth announcements in February. Or perhaps not.  Holiday parties.. puh-leeze. I'll be watching this:

while sitting. And then going to bed at 8. 

Scott and I have decided that all we want for Christmas this year is a healthy home birth and a new coffee pot, 'cause mama's tired of having to reheat it in a saucepan like a heathen. Santa can just chill this year. A big juicy infant is plenty of present for us. 

I hope your holiday traditions are bringing you joy and happiness. If not: simplify. 

Curl up on your sofa with your hot chocolate and just enjoy. Dump a can of cream of mushroom soup and some pork chops in your crock pot, open some salad in a bag, and call it done. Read your kid a book and do some sitting. 

No judgement here. 
Cheers!
Rachel 




1 comment:

Sarah Greenman said...

Yes to all of it! I love that she's painting her little drag queens in her crown. Perfect.