Wednesday, December 18, 2013

PANTRY ATTACK

Next up on mama's list: The pantry. Probably the second most used area in our house next to the Playroom which I made over last week. Can you hear the buzz of nesting coming through your computer?

Don't think me ungrateful. At least I HAVE a pantry, right? I remember the day of city living when my pantry was a plastic bin on a shelf mounted over the stove. The next house, we had homemade shelves over the back door. It's gets better each time we move.

Challenges:
1. Two foodies, one toddler, one dog and limited space.
2. Whoever built this architectural gem didn't take into account heights of common goods but rather just spaced the shelving at will.
3. I do the majority of cooking and pantry usage and my husband does the majority of grocery shopping. My system makes sense to me but when the food gets put away, it gets all wonky. And then it looks like this:





Oh the humanity.

First I took everything out and threw out all skank, expired product, crappy jars and containers that have long lost their lids. I combined boxes and bags of things that we had multiples of. I donated a few things that we haven't used in the last year (uh horse shaped cookie cutter???) It got worse before it got better. 

I made a quick list of some things that could make the system better: taller bins to make better use of vertical space, can organizers, some pretty labels, and containers to store raw goods. I perused the Pinternet for inspiration and ideas. 




One of things that really creases me when I see pictures like these, is that this is not "real people food." Who has 5 cans of matching tall corn? What about the random pack of rice noodles for spring rolls or the packets of taco bell sauce that you save for condiment emergencies.  These groceries were purchased to style up the pictures but its not how real people live. And the containers!! If I had five hundred bucks to spend on matching jars or ELFA systems, I wouldn't be sitting here blawgin' would I?  Plus, I need to be able to read my nutritional info or cooking directions on the package. This is a sham.

So here's what I got: 5 ice bucket containers from Target (because they were tall and cheapish), 6 plastic canisters from Dollar Tree for raw goods and 2 packs of fancy labels. 

Here's what I did: I popped out the shelves and quick rolled over them with some leftover blue paint, as they were filthy and stained. Me and sticky products like contact paper and cling wrap just don't mix. Plus, I don't "measure stuff," and the paint was free.  
I moved cardboard canisters, oils and vinegar and some taller stuff to the door to maximize the vertical space. I labeled it for hubby.

Here's how much it cost: ice buckets $3.99 X 5,  canisters: $1X6, labels: $2.89X 2= $32 TOTAL. That is more my budget. Oh and this big-ass possum decided to cruise my backyard fence sending my dog into a tizzy during this process. 

And here's the purty finished product. 



Exhale. Okay almost ready to have a baby..but not quite. I have some more drawers and closets that need attention. Gestational OCD..It's real. Tomorrow I'll be painting more stuff white. 

Cheers!
Rachel 


No comments: