Thursday, April 3, 2014

SO SARI

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon this Etsy shop and couldn't resist ordering this lot of vintage silk sari borders to use in my designs. They are even more beautiful in person than I imagined. I love that these were used by someone and are now being upcycled into new pieces. A tiny scrap of these delicately embroidered pieces adds so much punch to my textile pieces. I've been putting bits of them on nearly everything. 


Like this new green bag. I'm in love with this piece. The body is vintage linen in a tart olive shade..great condition. I used a bright batik my friend brought me from Africa as the reverse of the strap and for the front decorative panel. 


 I hand stitched a botanical motif on front and back and added a scrap of silk shantung in a muddy olive. A punched coconut shell button looks amazing with these hues. 

Patches of a woven pieces in spring green and a tulip floral that I dyed kelly adds some texture. 



I finished it off with a wrap style closure adorned with beads of mint and gold agate, bamboo (I cut that out of an old cutting board!) ceramic, wood, and glass on wax cotton cord. 



The strap is made from the same linen and backed with African batik and a little sari trim. The back has a large patch of colorblock linen and sari border in deep indigo. 


Approx 8"x10" it is worn long on the hip for a quick outing. Lined with thick sturdy gray felt for some heft and has two interior pockets. Yum.E. 

The same little piece of sari made it into this chunky bead bracelet



Glass seed beads at the closure. 

So many delicious elements in this one. Agate, stone, glass, Nangka wood, polymer clay, resin, ceramic, and coral. 


And my "textile flag" element that will be showing up in some future pieces. This one is a scrap of linen that I dyed with turmeric, a shibori canvas scrap, orchid felt, and the sari border in indigo. 


I repeated this same textile flag idea in this necklace

Except I used red on a smoky blue-gray and hand stitched it for interesting detail. 


Flanked by polymer clay beads that I made myself. 

Super lightweight and soft to wear. 

And finally this oversize reversible textile pendant with sari borders in cream and green. 

Hand-stitched textile scraps.

Flanked by a caravan of unique beads in polymer clay, ceramic, brass and glass. Knotted on wax cord.


Wear it either side depending on your mood. 

Vintage button closure. 

Check em out here

Rachel 

All photos by me. 

1 comment:

Sarah Greenman said...

All of it - drop dead gorgeus.