Tuesday, July 29, 2014

IT TOILES THE BEST OF TIMES

I never met a toile I didn't like. I feel like there's a dirty joke there somewhere but I can't quite find it. Anyhoo.. 



While toile du de jouy can be downright icky if used improperly: 


Um...gross.
It can also be stunningly decadent and glamorous if used in an unexpected way. . 
Like bold colors, inverted colors, and architectural motifs. . .

















Or clothing! I would love to have a toile ballgown...you know, for housecleaning. 








Or get really crazy like Richard Saja and embroider neon punk clothing on all those stuffy farm folk. Brilliant. 









I saw this idea of painting watercolor like swatches on cotton toile. GORGEOUS. 


I think I may try it on this one of my swatches. I think I could use some of the fabric medium I used to paint my couch. Perhaps for a bag or pillow cover for the shop?

Stay tuned. You know I'm a DIY fool. 

Rachel
PS All images can be linked to their source here


No comments: